Friday, August 14, 2026

Writing Prompt: Under My Thumb

 Prompt: Write about an object you became emotionally attached to.

Under My Thumb

This week’s prompt to write about an object I became emotionally attached to was a little more challenging than what I first thought it would be when I selected it for our group. I had to really think about it, and walk around the house looking at things in bookshelves and on the fireplace mantle for inspiration. 

I ultimately decided to reflect back upon my youth, reaching back in the dusty archives of my memory bank to find something intriguing to discuss. Then I hit upon it: Let me tell you the story of my trusty right thumb, and the years I spent sucking it! Yes, I was a voracious thumb sucker, all the way up to 6th grade. This forced me into wearing awful metal braces on my teeth to correct the damage that innocent thumb caused.

My mom says I loved my thumb so because it was a handy replacement for the rather active breastfeeding habit I had as a newborn. I don’t remember that far back, but I do remember my thumb and what comfort it brought me all throughout my Elementary school years. I was very open about my habit in my younger years, but as I aged I learned to conceal it. I was embarrassed I think for others to see me sucking away. I think too I remember my parents lecturing me a bit about stopping the sucking, and me being defiant and resistant.

How do I describe how comforting it was to have that thumb of mine nestled within my mouth? I guess it was like the pleasure I got from having a cigarette there, or maybe how it feels to have a tobacco pouch or whatever those things are called resting between your cheek and gums. 

No comments: